This Mexican chicken casserole is the easiest to make, and it was a hit with my family. All you need is chicken, a few canned foods, cheese and a baking pan.
Looking for an easy Mexican casserole recipe with simple ingredients? This one’s super easy with a great flavor, so much that you’ll want to store leftovers.Jump to Recipe
This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on it and make a purchase, I make a commission. This doesn’t cost you anything additional. These commissions help to keep the rest of my content free, so thank you!
I’m listing the items you’ll need for the recipe below. It helps to know the ingredients you have on hand before you make the recipe. This casserole is great to take to a potluck and easiest to carry if baked in a foil pan.
- 4 Chicken thighs (chicken breasts or canned chicken will be fine)
- 1 can of Charro beans
- 1 can of Black beans
- Diced tomatoes and chilies
- 1 can of corn
- Cream of chicken soup (optional) (Note: For an extra creamy chicken casserole, you can opt for even two cans of cream of chicken soup.)
- 8 corn tortillas
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- Salt, chili seasoning, cumin, garlic powder, or other seasonings you prefer for Mexican-flavored dishes
- foil pan (You can use a casserole dish, but the nice thing about a foil pan is it’s disposable.)
I’ve made many delicious Mexican casserole recipes through the years, and they’re not that hard to make. But this one is a great choice because it’s easy and quick for busy weeknights. Basically, all you do is stir everything together, layer it in a pan, and bake.
Hint: Always save the chicken broth!
How to have a Mexican chicken casserole ready to eat in less than an hour
Cook your chicken ahead of time in a large pot on the stove, in an electric pressure cooker or instant pot, or in a slow cooker. Store it in the fridge overnight, then shred it the next day.
Since your chicken will already be shredded, it should take five to ten minutes to prepare the recipe for baking. Then you can serve the meal in 35 to 40 minutes.
How to Season Chicken Pre-Cooked for Casseroles
Season the chicken, when cooking it ahead of time, with the following spices:
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder or 1 packet of taco seasoning. Add more or less measurements of the individual spices as preferred.
Save Yourself a Trip to the Grocery Store
Take a minute to look at Patty Cake Pantry’s Chicken Taco Casserole recipe. She used items from her pantry and fridge and saved herself a trip to the grocery store. Patty Cake is a frugal pantry food blogger.
Substitutions for Mexican Chicken Recipe Ingredients
Use any substitutions that you have on hand for the recipe ingredients. For instance, choose chicken breasts if you don’t have chicken thighs. And pinto beans or refried beans will work just fine instead of Charro beans.
Ingredient Substitutions List
I’ve included an ingredient substitutions list in case you don’t want to take a trip to the grocery store.
Check your pantry for these items:
- chicken breasts
- canned chicken
- rotisserie chicken
- flour tortillas
- pinto beans
- refried beans
The flavor of the casserole may vary depending on the ingredients. For example, Charro beans are a bit soupy vs. refried or pinto beans. Option for beans with less or no liquid: add a cream of chicken soup.
Serve Little Side Dishes with these Toppings
- sour cream
- green onions
- Cheddar cheese, Colby Jack, or Mexican Cheese Blend
- tortilla chips
- green chiles
- black olives
How to Make the Easiest Mexican Chicken Casserole with Corn Tortillas
- Heat oven to 375F degrees.
- First, you’ll spray the bottom of the baking dish with the cooking spray.
- Cut the tortillas in half, and place half of them in the bottom of the pan.
- In a large bowl mix the chicken, beans, green chilies, corn and soup as explained in the recipe.
- Add a layer of the chicken mixture and the rest of the tortilla halves in the baking pan as directed in the casserole recipe.
- Top with a cup of the cheese.
- Layer the chicken mixture again, and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes covered, then take the foil off and add the other cup of cheese.
- Bake for 10 more minutes, and the delicious Mexican chicken casserole will be ready to eat.
This dish taste wonderful with lots of cheese, so add extra cheese if you prefer. Be sure to read the recipe carefully, however, as it has more detailed directions.
Easiest Mexican Chicken Casserole with Corn Tortillas
easiest way to make a Mexican chicken casserole
- Cooking spray
- 8 Corn tortillas
- 4 Chicken thighs, cooked and shredded
- 1/2 Can Charro beans (31-Oz can, H.E.B. Brand)
- 1/2 Can Black beans (15.25 oz can)
- 1 Can Mild diced tomatoes with green chilies (10-oz can)
- 1/2 Can Libby’s Naturals No Salt or Sugar Added Whole Kernel Corn Non GMO
- 1 Can Cream of chicken soup (optional)
- 2 Cup Cheese, Mexican Blend or Cheddar Cheese
Cut 8 corn tortillas in half.
Place half of the sliced tortillas into the bottom of a rectangular baking pan after you’ve sprayed the pan with a baking/cooking spray (I used a foil pan in this recipe.).
Mix together the chicken, beans, diced tomatoes and chilies, corn and seasonings in a large bowl (and cream of chicken soup if added).
Layer half of the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas, and add one cup of the cheese.
Add the other tortilla halves on top of the cheese.
Cover the tortillas with the rest of the chicken mixture.
Cover with foil and bake on 375° for 20 minutes.
Take the pan out of the oven, and cover the top with the second cup of cheese.
Bake uncovered for 10 minutes.
Ready to serve.
Calories are estimated for approximately 1/2 cup serving.
Season the chicken, when cooking it ahead of time, with approximately 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder or taco seasoning.
This is a great recipe to serve the whole family on Taco Tuesdays. Feel free to substitute ground beef in place of the shredded chicken. Serve with your favorite taco toppings.
Treat your family and guests with this easy casserole recipe with tortilla strips and salsa. It’s a tasty dish with or without a side dish.
More Chicken Recipes from Kitchen Southern Hospitality
Trying to cut carbs but LOVE pizza? Make it on flatbread.
You’ll like this yummy recipe if you enjoy Chinese food. I love the Iron Chef orange garlic sauce. You can order it from Amazon, as seen below:
Delicious Thai chicken bowl with veggies.
This recipe is in the top ten Kitchen Southern Hospitality recipes for this past year. It is a wonderful chicken and dressing dish loved by my family (and me).
This recipe is being submitted to the food blog party, Full Plate Thursday. Go check it out because you’ll find lots of awesome recipes.
Miz Helen’s Country Cottage
Thank you so much for checking out Kitchen Southern Hospitality!