Cook a pot of Broccoli Cheese Soup to warm up with on a cold winter day. This soup meal can be made for one, two, or a family with children.
Soup Children Will Like
Trying to come up with more recipes with veggies that your children will like? They should like this soup recipe because it’s got cheese. And lots of kids like broccoli.
Anybody can open a can of soup, heat it up, and eat it. Easy. But it doesn’t take much more effort to steam vegetables and turn them into a delicious soup.
What to Serve with Broccoli Cheese Soup
Chicken sandwiches pair well with this delicious soup, and it makes the perfect meal. Serve crackers with the soup if you don’t want to have chicken sandwiches. Or, make Chopped Vegetable Salad as a side dish (shown below).
How to Make Broccoli Cheese Soup
First, boil four chicken breasts, then store the meat in the fridge, and save the broth. When I made the broccoli soup, I used some of the chicken broth. You may choose, however, to use a can of chicken broth.
When you steam the broccoli, it’s best when barely cooked until you’re able to cut it easily with a knife. You may like chunky broccoli in soup. I suggest cutting the broccoli into very small pieces to encourage the kids to eat it.
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 stalks of broccoli flowerets (or more if serving more than 2 people)
- 1/3 block of Velveeta (or store brand) cheese, cut in cubes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Add broccoli to a pot and cover with water.
- Add a pinch of sea salt (or regular salt).
- Cook to boiling, then turn burner to low.
- Cook for approximately five minutes on low.
- Cut the broccoli with a knife, like a small paring knife.
- If it cuts easily, the broccoli is done.
- Continue to cut the broccoli flowerets into very small pieces.
- Drain the water, and add the cheese cubes.
- Add a cup of water, a cup of chicken broth, and stir until the cheese melts.
- Then add the whipping cream and stir.
- Stir in the grated cheese.
- It's ready to eat.
- Serve with sandwiches or crackers.
This soup had the best flavor. Though my husband and I ate it with chicken sandwiches, we agreed that it would also taste great with crackers.
Broccoli is nutritious and is only 55 calories. It has multiple benefits and may help in cancer prevention. This green vegetable is supposed to be good for your skin and eyes. One article says it can help with cataracts and macular degeneration. I’m not a licensed nutritionist, but my thought is it would take a lot of broccoli to help with cataracts because so many people, as they age, get cataracts. Both my parents had cataract surgery – and they ate broccoli. So who knows? But there’s no doubt that the green vegetable is good for us to eat.
Make the Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe even if just for yourself. Save what you don’t eat for the next day.
More soups by Kitchen Southern Hospitality
Italian Vegetable Hamburger Soup
It’s cold and snowy here today, and soup sounds delicious! Thanks for linking up on #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty. I have shared on social media.
YUM! Looks and sounds tasty!