Don’t like to eat much fruit or vegetables? Mix them in smoothies. Try fruit with a vanilla, latte, or chocolate flavored Shakeology drink. Making nutritious smoothies, or juicing, is simple to do and a great way to see that your family eats healthy.
Vegetables and fruit are natural sources of vitamins and minerals. Encourage your children to eat more fruits and vegetables by planting a garden, even a small one. Include them when planting seeds and plants, watering, and harvesting. This will make it fun. Then they might surprise you by showing interest when you prepare the garden food for lunch and dinner.
Children would probably eat more fruit and vegetables if their parents ate them. But being on the go all the time makes it difficult for families to cook at home. By the time moms and dads get home from work, everyone is tired. Picking up fast food is convenient. Popping the frozen chicken nuggets in the microwave is quick.
Schedule a time that you can cut vegetables and fruit to prepare for future meals. Pre-sliced bananas and strawberries from the freezer make wonderful Shakeology drinks or homemade fruit smoothies. Slice cucumbers, onions, and tomatoes to make a fresh salad. Spend a little time to interest your family in fresh veggies and fruit.
When the kiddos are hungry for a snack, hand them half of a banana and strawberries while you slice several to place in bags to go in the freezer. Frozen banana and strawberry slices make wonderful Shakeology fruit smoothies.
See if they will eat veggies raw. If not, have some dressing on hand for dipping.
I’ve made my own fruit smoothies often with protein powder, water or milk, and crushed ice or frozen fruit slices. When I discovered the latte and vanilla flavored Shakeology, however, I was surprised at how much I liked the taste. Initially, I became interested in Shakeology products because of what I read about the digestive benefits.
Although I drink Shakeology smoothies every day, I still like my vegetables and fruit. I like them cooked the good old-fashioned Southern way. Here are a few hints for cooking vegetables:
- Don’t overcook them ’til they’re mushy and the nutrients are all cooked out.
- Add one or two tablespoons of sugar and at least a tablespoon of butter (the real stuff, not margarine) to vegetables like Sweet peas (also called English peas, the green ones), Brussels sprouts, and yellow summer squash.
- Stir fry several vegetables and add them to baked potatoes, omelets, steak, chicken, or hamburger patties.
- Marinate fresh vegetables like broccoli, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, or whatever you like in olive oil and vinaigrettes.
Shakeology Strawberry Latte Smoothie
- 1 Shakeology vanilla packet
- 2 Truvia packets
- 1/4 cup frozen sliced strawberries
- 1 cup 2% milk or whole milk
- 1/2 cup water (preferably cold)
- Add all ingredients in a Nutribullet or blender.
- Blend well.
I love strawberry/vanilla shakes. Is shakeology available in stores?
Me, too! No not in stores, but you can go here to order: